Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Broody Hen Day 14: Weather Catastrophe

It rained on our hill on June 11.  After that we had 23 days of no rain whatsoever.  Uncle Mark counted.

Finally the weather started to break.  The first week of July we had five whole drops of rain.  Perhaps I exaggerate just a bit; it may have only been 4.5.  Leeds, Alabama had enough that there were puddles on the sidewalk.  Our driveway had dry patches.

The second week of July the weather was better.  The temperatures were not as brutal and we got real rain.  Not only did the driveway get wet, there was water gushing out of the gutters.  Hurray!

Tuesday evening July 10th (that's Bible Study evening at our house in case you are interested) we had an early supper and the house was in order.  Uncle Mark and I were relaxing for a few minutes when we heard what sounded like torrential rain.  We were so excited that we ran to the porch to watch.  There was no rain, just a fierce wind.  Uncle Mark plopped down in the hammock to watch and I started pacing the porch so that I could see everything.  After a bit I went inside to check on something and as I was coming back out to watch the storm I saw Uncle Mark running at top speed down the sidewalk.  Figuring there was a chicken problem, I ran outside, slipped into the shoes and took off after him, hollering for Dan on the way.

As I raced down the sidewalk, I saw what had gotten his attention.






Can you believe that not one chicken was hurt?

Can you believe that not one chicken got loose?

And that it fell away from Big Mama Broody Hen??

That thing with the shiny roof in the background is where Big Mama is setting


Instead of studying Roman chapter 7, the women-folk had "fellowship" time.
The men-folk got busy with saws, axes and muscles.



We were able to rig a safe area for the flock; Uncle Mark was even able to get the electric fence rigged (we have a coyote problem out here).

Wednesday Uncle Mark visited our friends at Lowe's.  Thursday he reconstructed the pen.  In the meantime, Buckaroo and his girls are learning to be thankful for what they have, even though it is smaller than what they are used to.  And I am thankful that my husband and my son are so strong and so handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment